Monday, January 17, 2011

Letters From The Mailbox

We took our second letter from the mailbox tonight and answered the student's question:

"How do you know if you have picked good friends?"

Big Idea: Friends will either make or break you in your relationship with God


The righteous choose their friends carefully, but the way of the wicked leads them astray.
Proverbs 12:26

Did you pick good friends?

Friends don’t abandon you
10 Never abandon a friend—
Proverbs 27:10

Great example of a friend sticking by you:
But Ruth replied, “Don’t ask me to leave you and turn back. Wherever you go, I will go; wherever you live, I will live. Your people will be my people, and your God will be my God.
Ruth 1:16

Bad friends treat you badly.
They repay me evil for good, and hatred for my friendship.
Psalm 109:5

A friend who is unreliable will get you messed up
One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Proverbs 18:24

What is their motivation?
Wealth attracts many friends, but even the closest friend of the poor person deserts them.
Proverbs 19:4

Check out this verse:
Many seek favors from a ruler; everyone is the friend of a person who gives gifts!
Proverbs 19:6

Not smart to be friends with a hot head
Do not make friends with a hot-tempered person, do not associate with one easily angered,
Proverbs 22:24

Break off the friendship if the friend is going in the wrong direction
10 My child, if sinners entice you, turn your back on them!
Proverbs 1:10

You have picked good friends if:

Your friends strengthen your relationship with God.
As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend.
Proverbs 27:17

They love you
17A friend loves at all times,
Proverbs 27:17a

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.
Proverbs 27:6

Next week we will take a look at the friendship between David and Jonathon.

If you would like the full blown notes on the lesson or the POD discussion material drop me an e-mail.

No comments:

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...