Friday, January 15, 2010

Divorce

If you are considering a divorce, have been through divorce, think divorce will make your kids happier. Please take the time to read the articles here.

"Many years ago, the myth began to circulate that if parents are unhappy, the kids are unhappy, too. So divorce could help both parent and child. "What's good for mom or dad is good for the children," it was assumed. But we now have an enormous amount of research on divorce and children, all pointing to the same stubborn truth: Kids suffer when moms and dads split up. (And divorce doesn't make mom and dad happier, either.)"

I have actually heard parents talk about what the author, Amy Desal, mentioned in the above article so when I saw the article my interest was very high of course. In my 16 years of working with students I have yet to run across a teen who went through divorce and their life was not greatly effected negatively by it.

So take some time to read these articles or pass the link along to a friend who may need to read them.

2 comments:

Dennis Beckner said...

Thanks for posting this. I've got a student going through this right now. I'm stoked you posted a link to some articles for reference.

ladybug said...

This just stresses the importance of recognizing that there are hurting kids all around us. My heart breaks for these kids and my hope is that more folks will begin to recognize the signs of divorce and not just blame the parents for the kids bad behavior.

Children of divorce go through the grief process over and over and over as they mature and are able to understand the impact that this loss has on their own lives.

What a huge ministry opportunity there is here. I for one am ready willing and able to step up - are you?

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...