Thursday, October 1, 2009

Don't Make Assumptions


I was in a text conversation with a student the other day.  The question asked of me by the students was,  "How come people at church are mean?"  First of all that should be a wake up call for us, the church, when we are perceived as mean.  

My answer was simply, "Don't assume that everyone in church is a Christian.  The Bible teaches that we are to love one another.  If we don't have love we don't know God."  I went on to explain that we want mean people at church because they need a heart change and only God can pull that one off.   The student liked the answer given and thought is made sense.  

This morning I spoke at FCA at FFMS.  I thought last night as I was getting ready to go to sleep that in a room with seventy-some students I should not assume I am addressing all as followers of Christ.  I shared a story from my life and the good old saying, "It's not what you know but Who you know."    I have a relationship with my brother Scott.  When Scott was a trainer in the MLB that relationship with him got me into games I would have never seen otherwise.  More important than knowing facts about Scott is knowing Scott, a relationship with him.  

Lots of people know facts about God but they don't know God.  Why?  Because they have not put their faith in Jesus Christ.  If you want to know God then you have to do so through a relationship with Jesus.Facts and head knowledge isn't what saves.  It's all about a relationship. 

 At the end of the talk several students indicated they were putting their faith in Jesus as their Savior today.   Pray for these kids to get plugged into a local church, to connect with Christian friends, to spend time learning and growing as a believer, and to introduce their friends to Christ.

Fellowship of Christian Athletes is an awesome para church ministry that does a lot in our schools.  If you like to know more about them check out their web site.

1 comment:

CFHusband said...

I was a co-president of my FCA...still hearing from my fellow students 10 years later about the affect (mostly good) that those of us who were public about our faith had on other students.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...