Tuesday, March 16, 2010

No Turf Wars


Today I met with young Rich at lunch. Rich used to be a youth in our youth group and now Rich and his wife, Lauren (also formerly an NHC youth and Rich married way out of his league), and now both serve on our YM Team at NHC. Rich and I met to discuss some youth ministry as well as just to eat. We went to The Pit for lunch, tuesdays are dollar tacos all day, and they are well worth the money.

Across the room was another youth pastor and a friend. We stopped and said "Hi". Later the waitress brought us our receipt, not bill. There was a note on the back:
"Jesus paid the price for us!
Jamie and I paid for your lunch . . .
Just trying to be like Jesus!"

A great blessing to young Rich and I. It's cool to be blessed by other Christians, especially some from another church.

Too often in youth ministries there are "turf wars" between churches. Churches who get to wrapped up in the numbers game rather than being concerned about expanding the kingdom. It's nice to be able to be in a community where we most churches don't have that attitude or are in the business of sheep stealing. What these two gentlemen did for me at lunch was more than just feeding me a great lunch. They showed me their philosophy of ministry and mission. Super cool!

No comments:

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...