Monday, March 24, 2008

The World's Greatest Hot Dog

Today my boy and I had lunch at a local hot doggery.  The sign over their grill reads, "World's Greatest Hot Dog".  Now I'll admit my foot long chili dog was good.  World's greatest?  I don't know about that.  They did have a picture of Johnny Cash outside of their establishment and that was cool.

I know what hot dogs are made of and I do prefer the all beef franks.  Turkey dogs are just plain gross, same goes for chicken dogs.  Now I've had some "light" hot dogs by Oscar Meyer, pretty good.  I don't eat hot dogs every day but I do like a good "dog" every now and then.

I think my love for a good hot dog stems from my upbringing in Lynchburg, Va.  There are at least three places in that one city that all claim to be the "world's best".  The best was Meeks' Deli until Mr. Meeks closed up shop.  

My question is this:  How can so many places be the World's Greatest?  Who is the on the Greatest Hot Dog Commission and who placed them there?  What are the judging criteria?  Is it just because some patron, who may or may not have good tasting abilities in the world of frankfurters, spouted out their mouth one day at the counter, "This is the world's best hot dog!"?

I am thankful that I live in this great country and that in our neck of the woods there are restaurants  (yes, I said restaurants) that focus their whole menu around a hot dog.  Even if we can't really determine who has the "World's Greatest Hot Dog".

Here are some that wear the label "World's Greatest Hog Dog":
Gene and Judes 
Spanky's Place
Weenie Stand #1, #2, #3
Pete's Famous Hot Dogs
Captain Franks
Stadium Diner
Pinks in Hollywood
Windmill
Calgary's Hot Dog Emporium
Jody Maroni's
Great Hawaiian Hot Dog Company

Can't there only be one World's Greatest?




10 comments:

CFHusband said...

Dud, you totally need to embed this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUPDRnUWeBA

Andy Lawrenson said...

Done! you dud

Bonnie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rick Lawrenson said...

I'll agree that Meeks' Delicatessen was the best in the 'burg. The World's Famous Stadium Inn wasn't in the same league.

But once Meeks shut down I found the best in the 'burg to be a toss up between The Cavalier on Rivermont (I ran down there for a dog while Gail was in labor with Nate - sorry Gail, but I was starvin') and Moore's Country Store on 460 East of town. (The place with the tree growing through the roof.) Moore's chili will raise your body temp 3 degrees.

But I do think Lynchburg may be the hot dog capitol of the world.

Megan and Company said...

"Hot Diggity Dog" corners the market around here.

Oh, you ain't lived till ya had a nitrate free-turkey dog. Hehehe!

My2Girls said...

Andy -

Okay, I'm going to guess you and Ty were chowing down at Capt'n Frank's in Kitty Hawk??? Good dogs there, 4 sure!

My family proudly owns Capt'n Frank's t-shirts. Ha ha ha!!!

Destini said...

Funny you should post about hot dogs. I totally sat for an hour and watched a food tv special about "World's Greatest Hot Dogs" They highlighted establisments all over the US that specializes in Hot Dogs. Pinks in Hollywood was featured on there. You'll have to catch it on Food TV sometime...It'll give you some places to try out should you decide to go on a quest for the best dog! :)

Lee said...

The city of Chicago boasts Clark Street Dogs. Oh. My. Goodness. Its heaven on a bun. You aint had a dog till you've had a chicago dog. Period.

There is also Babes. YUMMO. You can have them shipped frozen anywhere. Want some? Gotta have a crunchy dill pickle to add to the top and a sesame bun and catsup, mustard, relish, onion, tomato wedges and of course celery salt.

I think its Babe's for lunch today.

Lee said...

Oooh oooh oohhh. I almost forgot about Joe's. They've got these fries, see. Oh dear. A large is essentially a brown lunch bag filled to the BRIM and they are piping hot. And only $1.49. Don't drop a Joes fry in your car though. It will smell for MONTHS!

marcia said...

Looks like Ball Park Franks on my grill just won't cut it with this crowd :) Lee, we usually hit Gino's East or Pizzeria Uno or Duo when we are in Chicago....but you are making it sound like we need to broaden our horizons on our next trip!

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...