Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I don't do Windows


Really, I can think of a lot more things I would rather do on a Saturday than wash windows.  I could have been at home working in my yard, or playing with my son.  You see washing windows just isn’t my thing.  I think there are probably other people out there that enjoy washing windows but not me. 

One thing that has really bugged me about my church is the front windows have needed cleaning for a long time.  Here at the beach the salt and sand really mess a window up quick.  The past two weeks I’ve been thinking someone needs to really clean those windows.

Earlier this week I pretty much decided the someone that needed to clean the windows was probably me.  Why?  I saw the need. 

Don’t get me wrong.  Nags Head Church is a great church when it comes to doing ministry.  The majority, over 90%, of our members are on ministry teams.  Some serve an hour or two a week to several hours a week. 

What I have never understood is how someone can be part of a church and never lift a finger in ministry.  That has always boggled my mind.  I think that being selfish is part of the old nature but I have (in my adult years) always done my best to pull my share of the load in ministry. 

So as I stood out front, with the 20-foot pole with a squeegee on it, I was doing some thinking.  What else can you do while cleaning windows?

I think God used those big windows today to remind me of a few things:

1.  Leaders need to set the example; if we expect members to take their “day off” to serve we should be willing to do the same.

2.  When I see a ministry that needs doing I need to help get it done, after all I’m part of the body at NHC.

3.  Sometimes we do ministry because it needs to be done even when it's not our "cup of tea".

4.  Serving God is fun; even though I don’t do windows I enjoyed my time cleaning windows.(because I was serving my Savior, I wasn't just cleaning windows)

5.  We should have a desire to serve God and the church.

6.  Parents should look for opportunity to do ministry with their kids.  What better way to teach children about getting involved in ministry?

7.  Vinegar and hot water do an awesome job cleaning windows.

What needs doing at your church?  Just do it!  (That’s how I ended up in youth ministry)

PS In this post I’m not looking for a pat on the back or a prize (God will take care of that) I’m just sharing what I thought about while on the roof of the lobby cleaning windows.

5 comments:

Destini said...

AMEN and well said. I think far too often (I've been guilty too) we get the attitude that someone else will or can do it, there is someone far more qualified than me, it is not my job, I will be stepping on someone's toes...what ever the case may be. What we (I) failed to realize is the great blessing that is being missed when I choose not to participate in something as simple as picking up a piece of garbage from the parking lot or off the floor. Even those simple acts of service when done in the proper spirit and heart condition make God smile. Thanks for giving me something to think about today!

Barbara Metcalf Bella Vista, Arkansas said...

My windows need cleaning too. How about Saturday morning? No, I think it's great that you're willing to go above and beyond. I sometimes get frustrated with my husband because it seems like he's always the last one out the door, and the first one to volunteer to help. But you're right—church members do need to see the staff getting involved… even on Saturday. Right now he is backpacking for a couple of days with a missionary and his son who are home on furlough. They've never backpacked, so he volunteered to take them. He would say, "It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it." :P Ummm hmmm.

On another note, check out this blog. This was on Easter Sunday at Buckhead Church in Atlanta. It is so amazing.
http://www.ragamuffinsoul.com/?p=4757

Andy Lawrenson said...

Swahilimama - Thanks that was a powerful blog.
A picture of what the church is supposed to be to each other as we worship the One who has brought us together.

Powerful!

Rick Lawrenson said...

And the windows did sparkle. You're hired.

ZazFamily said...

andy, they look good in the picture, i'm sure by the time i get back out to the obx someone else wioll have to minisiter to the windows. way to be a servant. you rock with advice on this blog!!

richard zazuetta

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...