Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Kiss for Mommy


I grew up in church, I have attended church since months before I was born.  Back in the day (again referencing my old age) missionaries would occasionally give a report at the church service.  Now, as a kid, I was always thrilled because that usually meant a break from the normal preacher, plus you were getting drug out of the house for the evening service and missing Wonderful World of Disney so the missionary was a good substitute.  (let me give a shout out to pastors: don't be afraid to give up the pulpit one Sunday morning every now and then to let your folks hear how God is using a missionary to impact lives.  I bet if there was a poll done most missionaries end up with the Sunday night and Wednesday night service, short changing the congregation from learning more about missions.  Isn't missions what we really are supposed to be about.  And if you do give up preaching a Sunday morning sermon don't try to make up for it by giving a half hour of announcements :) )
 I was also thrilled as a child because generally (back in the day) the missionary was from some jungle somewhere, or at least it seemed like it.  The missionary would show a slide show. Remember those old machines with the wheel of slides?  As a kid I would really get excited if I noticed a second wheel sitting next to the projector.  There would also be a table set up with some sort of table cloth made of native materials and a spear or arrow or dart gun or knife, things that interest an 8 year old boy.  
This morning's service at NHC was awesome!  Not because of the break from the normal preacher ;) but because we got to hear from Stacey, one of our missionaries.  Her ministry, Precious Miracles, is incredible.  Stacey has a home for abandoned and special needs babies.
Keeping in mind that I'm an emotional person I got teary eyed when the video played and the song was a perfect fit.  I got really emotional as little Joseph, one of Stacy's former children from her home came out on stage with his new "forever family".  During the second service while Rick was talking little Joseph held his mommy's face in his hands and gave her multiple kisses.  It is obvious this little boy loves his "forever family" and his new parents love him.  It was also obvious to see the love Stacey has for these children as I watched her and Joseph together at dinner last night and at church this morning.  Jesus said this was "true religion", to take care of orphans.
The miracle of adoption is a huge part of my life and holds a special place in my heart.  I have learned a lot about a father's love in the past 3.5 years.  When you see the love of Joseph's parents you see the love of God.  God loved me enough to adopt me into His family and make me His own.  
How has God's adoption of you impacted your life?

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

I had a very hard time not totally losing it when I saw her pictures and watched Joseph interact with his forever family. That service reminded me why I do foster care, and started nigglings in my mind about future ministries...it's kinda cool that even though I'm approaching the 'golden years' (hah, may as well call them the gray years) that I get excited about opportunities that God may open up.

Agnes said...

I so had hoped to be there when Stacy came. Don already filled me in and then both you and Rick did such a great job on your blogs with the update. How thankful I am that Don and I were opened to both adoption and foster care as ministries for our family, though neither the church we attended or our families , at the time, were particually supportive. Imagine us never having met Frank, Joe or Tricia and then....not having baby Gwyneth? We are so blessed I can hardly stand it!!

Rick Lawrenson said...

Bonnie said "nigglings". Must be a Roanoke Island word left over from the lost colonists.

Andy Lawrenson said...

Bonnie,

What is "nigglings"?

Agnes,

It's cool to see how many people in our small church are connected to adoption.

CFHusband said...

Bonnie said "approaching"...

HAHA

Amy said...

I came upon your blog from Nate's. I have been following his journey with Tricia and their little one. Not sure why I came to your blog, but I am glad I did. Just wanted to comment on your view on adoption and missionaries, since my family fits both. My husband and I with our five children are missionaries to Honduras, www.louderthanwords.org. We work with orphans and my poor village people. God called us almost 2 years ago to adopt. I said "why" because we already had 4 children, but we knew it was God calling. So, we started the process. We brought home a beautiful little girl from Guatemala in September. When we got her home we learned she was deaf in both of her ears. (you can see her pictures at http://markmoore.terapad.com) Since we have gotten her home, she has had surgery to have cochlear implants. This is NOT what I had asked God for. How could we handle all the needs she would have. But OH how we have been blessed. I am so glad God saw that this IS what we needed. And just like he took us with all our "special needs...cause we all have them :) I am thankful to be adopted by HIM but also glad he chose us to adopt our little blessing.
Thanks for your post. It was a blessing to me.

Bonnie said...

I am approaching, not there yet, and a niggling is a vague thought, not yet in full form, a foreshadowing of what may come to be. donchyall know nothin?

Bonnie said...

Jeremiah asked me today..."why did you name me Jeremiah...or did those other people name me that?" I was glad to show him where in the book of Jeremiah it says, "before I formed you in the womb I knew you. before you were born, I set you apart". We then talked about how when you "adopt" you get to pick the name. Which led to us talking about how Jesus adopted us and gave us His name...cool stuff. Reminded me of that song, 'In Jesus name....I've been chosen, adopted, and named."

Andy Lawrenson said...

Excellent stuffs!

CFHusband said...

good stuff bonnie...I'd never read the line of that song that way before.

I would not be married to Tricia or have a 2lb miracle baby if the Kirschners hadn't adopted.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...