Sunday, November 2, 2008

Anti-Trunk or Treat

While looking for our Trunk or Treat group on Facebook I stumbled across a "Stop Trunk or Treat" facebook group.  While reading their group description it became very obvious to me that the founder of this group had apparently been to a lame Trunk or Treat.  One of his major complaints was the people were dressed like "Moses" and Bible characters and it just wasn't fun going from trunk to trunk.  

If the church is going to use an event as a bridging event the church needs to make sure it is not lame.  Followers of Christ need to think of how the event will impact the un-churched.  I'll admit I think if I went to the Trunk or Treat this group was describing I may have the same feelings.
Please let's not do "lame" events, they don't work in reaching people.  If we are going to do an event to reach the community we need to strive for excellence.  If we can't do it with excellence we should probably not do it at all.

I'm glad that NHC's Trunk or Treat wasn't lame.  On a side note to the Anti-Trunk or Treat group there was not one Bible character at our Trunk or Treat.  You won't see me dressed up as Baalam, I'm Elvis, "thank you, thank you very much".    

3 comments:

Rick Lawrenson said...

But we have had Jonah and it was very well done!

I think it's OK to do Bible characters if you want, just do them well and not cheesy or preachy!

CFHusband said...

I personally think the Four Horsemen would make an awesome trunk!

Andy Lawrenson said...

Jonah was good because he actually had a giant fish. Otherwise it would have been just a guy in a bath robe.

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...