Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Refuge 08 Day Two

Today's sessions were awesome.    Randy Hall the head honcho from Student Life spoke this morning on the great commission.  Calling us to remember the verses in Matthew 28:18-20.

Some things Randy gave us to chew on:
Definition of youth ministry:
Helping teenagers become like Jesus Christ
-begin a relationship with Jesus Christ
-Grow spiritually
-Know the story of the Bible
-Know what you believe
-Take positions of leadership
-Opportunities to serve
-Stay in their faith
-Develop spiritual intimacy
While we do our best to become like Christ.

Tonight Dave Platt spoke.
Things Dave gave us to chew on:
The two non-negotiables in ministry
1.  Unwavering confidence in  the Gospel
2.  Undying commitment to the commission

Dave then quoted Romans chapters 1 through 8, yes I said quote.  He then challenged us with this:  If we believe Romans 1-8 then we have to believe chapter 9 verses 1-5.  
Paul was willing to sacrifice it all to reach his brothers.  Am I willing to do what Paul suggests in Romans 9:1-5?

Much to think about.  

Kristian Stanfill led worship in music today and did an awesome job of leading worship.  Kristian has lots of energy and throws up the rock fist often.  His keyboard player was one happy dude dancing around behind the keyboards.

Got to go to Student Life's headquarters this afternoon and see the "behind the scenes".  It was really interesting to see what goes into pulling off what they do in ministry.  SL knocks the ball out of the park and their staff is the best.  This whole Refuge was free to us as youth leaders and SL didn't give one commercial or try to promote themselves or their resources.  SL just simply wanted to minister to us.  These two days have been an incredible blessing to me and I'm thankful to God for Student Life and look forward to a continued relationship with them.

I go to sleep tonight with the lyrics of one of Kristian's songs on my mind:
I need clean hands
I can't you can
I need you Jesus

No comments:

New Site is up and Running

My new web site which now hosts my blog posts is up and fully functional. You can check it out at andylawrenson.com . There is also a ...